Saturday, February 23, 2008

To Record Only Water For Ten Days




John 3rd solo album has almost nothing in common with his two precedents records. Whereas these last are sad and filled with a dark atmosphere, To Record Only Water For Ten Days is the result of a total rebirth. After 5 years of addiction and depression, John Frusciante finally decides to start over from scratches and to begin a new life of entire devotion to music, and this album perfectly reflects this new life beginning. The lyrics and even the title evocate a spiritual revelation ( 'You don't throw your life away/Going inside/You get to know who's watching you/And who besides you resides...' in 'Going Inside' - 'Extra time when you think it's over/Live a life when you've rolled over and died/I don't feel pain..." in 'Invisible Movement')

As soon as the album's open with the first chords of 'Going Inside', which anounce the other songs' atmosphere, we recognize John Frusciante's sound ('Murderers' could as well have been a Red Hot Chili Pepers' song on Californication).
It was also his first solo album since he had reintegrated the group (in 1998).



Release date: February 13, 2001

Tracks:
1. Going Inside
2. Someone's
3. The First Season
4. Wind Up Space
5. Away & Anywhere
6. Remain
7. Fallout
8. Ramparts
9. With No One
10. Murderers
11. Invisible Movement
12. Representing
13. In Rime
14. Saturation
15. Moments Have You



Lyrics:


Going Inside

You don't throw your life away
Going inside
You get to know who's watching you
And who besides you resides
In your body
Where you're slow
Where you go doesn't matter
Cuz there will come a time
When time goes out the window
And you'll learn to drive out of focus
I'm you and if anything unfolds
it's supposed to
You don't throw your time away sitting still
I'm in a chain of memories
It's my will
And I had to consult some figures of my past
And I know someone after me
Will go right back
I'm not telling a view
I've got this night to unglue
I moved this fight away
By doing things there's no reason to do


Someone's

Someone's waiting to fly with me
Someone's saying goodbye everytime she says hello
Cuz they both connect no one with somebody
I'm floating down this airstream
I'm floating and it's every dream I've ever had
And I'm so happy and sad
Cuz they both connect me with when I'd never been a body
Every house is a frame
Anything real has a brain
We talk ourselves out of it
But I've reconsidered it and I'm convinced
Everywhere I look has a face
Everyone who has lived has a place
Right here's every world
Every time draws a line to right now
Hold and turn the infinite
Someone's taking me all over out there


The First Season

Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day
When it changes up my row
It slates when time will turn to a room
Light starts being there
To talk about all he's feeling for the moon
To even the lie damn him
In that halo
Evil
Round that halo
Evil
It hangs by evil
You revolve now with my echo
You rose interwound
Actually people in the wrong
Come thru and go on
Leave my lonely mind a cell
Keep flowing on a drill
I keep holding on to myself
Be humble, take it the slow way
As I'm aloud
Even holding on
My cell of space that holds me


Wind Up Space

I can't wait
I can't wait for the time to break
Use it for a motorbike
You'll spin right out of sight
You'll never have been where you'll be
You go back to the faceless ride
Wind up space
Wind up space to go place to place
Dream that you died
It takes you out of your mind


Away & Anywhere

I do dream you
Allow me to believe you are the real me
I see you breathing under water
See you on both sides of a door
I didn't mean you to fathom what you bought
I'm away and anywhere to suffice
Every life filled with what will be
If my own will is from me
How do I take another mirror
How do I drink the whole shore
I do greet you
And slam the door in your face
You come in anyways
It's a long, long time before this takes place
I answer these these questions now
As to why I'm the only one
Who carries answers to their fathers
Who carries gray sky to the sun
I'm not the railway
I leave all of it to the air
Passing highway's traffic just lying there
Carry me away
Come in anyways
Both sides of the door
The closed and open door


Remain

I'm crowded when I'm gone
I live here to seep thru this song
Hey la
I can't go on
I'm lost
I'll be there running on & off
Hey la
And when you reach that point
You're a wall
And when you bleed sight
You receive a call
Oh please take us
We're wrong
We live now to relive on & on
Place my paces
Pave my way
We only remain
The same way as the sounds on a tape
And when you draw a line
It goes where you want
And when shadows step ahead of you
They start and stop
With these riches we walk & walk
We give to this time all that we got
We play it this way cuz this is how we feel
It means so much to me when the pretend becomes real


Fallout

Carried thru the road so far alone
Days glue themselves to what is wrong
And soon the hills will swallow us up
Plans will pass her
Land on the walls is laid out
I know you're in pain
Train for the cause is staying down
It plays you out
Fall out of love again
Your dreams all end



Ramparts (instrumental)



With No One

Seal your wide shores
With no one in between
You feel your fading dial
You know someone's happened
And you shouldn't feed these things
But let's go
Fading away your nights
You fade to white
You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine
Fly a ladder around
Rails succumb to run
Get up
Hear your fates that again reload
The black walls of space take me all the way



Murderers (instrumental)



Invisible Moment

Extra time when you think it's over
Live a life when you've rolled over and died
I don't feel pain
I don't travel this line
Levitate and feel the ground get closer
Ecstasy made every step a mile
When it becomes a waste
Why hold on for dear life
Wide pain in the blue white break up
All paths divide
Life has a way of opening up
All names travel with their owner
Tho' they've no space, they move all around
I see invisible moment in every town
Every cry is a separate emotion
Happenings are planned
And then they arrive
They go on with or without you there


Representing

I'm representing a face of light
I'll take your place, it's only right
I don't hesitate this time
I'm only seen 'til I arrive
I'm reappearing and I'm holding back
I steal this field if I relax
You've never moved the end
You'll shake out of yourself again
Revealing the face that's frozen cold
Hey y'all
Raise the rain the other way
Hey y'all


In Rime

I fail to do what I'm trying
I've these walls
And everyone who dies hears others times
This immediacy is unknown to me
And appears to be unreached
By everyone I've known
Show me unfocused fears in disguise
It shows me I must live to die
This lake is on fire
It's been every dream to me
it's been every desire
I awaken
Filling up the space
I back away
And it covers me up all cozy
These waves are the call of time
What's sent ahead is sent behind
As in rime


Saturation

I feel that wheels are turning 'round
Replay
We made you what you were
We brought them up that hill
We brought them up to roll them down
In the morning, light might clean you out
I'm sad that time escapes me
It pushes ahead of me all day
Remind me what I could've been
I feel the faster I'm going
The more I am slowing down
I'm the focus of the bring down
I'm the one who captures what he lost
And turns it around


Moments Have You

All around you is to feel and watch you
They make patterns to peel the sound
And I find it a pain that goes along
With being in chaos's order
I've a field now to realize in
Watch the main jump
It has fears of you being there rising up
Like who you're introduced to saying goodbye
All again and you're always free now
I didn't fake this so you could fade away
I've been careful to take what I've spent
I remember every end
I'm pretending to face something
I've been looking straight in it's eye
Moments have you to play around with
Cuz inside actions there's no time
I'll evade you to create a reason
I hear you inside a space
An instant is forever now
A future fluctuates
Glimpse your motion
Sitting down
It's like framing a pear
Or saving sounds
I defy you to realize it
How a shattering creates a song
I've been used to help the body
Of work that will never be
A lapse of the most confused kind
Has reserved feelings jumping around
The first type plays around the souls
They have fun with everyone you know
A knot only found
Never made
Everyday we reload feelings
When we play

No comments: